Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Glazed Lemon Cake


I've got itchy feet, y'all!  Not like, itchy-scratchy, but just, so super restless.  I want a new job, a new house, a new routine!  We tend to move house every 3 years or so, so the timing of our nomadic habits isn't all that shocking.  But I thought this was going to be our forever home, so I'm surprised that I am wanting to give up on all the conveniences that this location gives us, just for some country air.  I don't dig commuting, but I want a big ol' garden.  I like that my kids and I can walk to school & work, but I'm sick of car thefts and break-ins, not to mention all the big city violence.


Should I consider a career change?  I've been working for Calgary Public Library for almost 18 years...18 years!  How is that possible?!  It's possible, I suppose, because I truly do love working for the Library, how it allows me to help people in simple ways everyday.  But even that is on a mega shift right now, with all sorts of re-branding, and job description changes at all levels of employment.  If I'm gonna be honest, I love my job, but there's some people I just cant stand working with.  That is something I think everyone can relate to.  My rants have become a nightly routine, and perhaps its just hormones, or even spring fever, but somethings gotta give!  I feel worn out!
Maybe I should just take a chill pill, and paint a wall in my house, move some furniture, or do some baking, that usually helps me de-stress.  


Everyone should have a go-to lemon loaf cake recipe in their repertoire, it's like, an unwritten rule. This "Lemon Loaf cake with glaze" if from local foodie and author Gwendolyn Richards.  Gwendolyn is the voice behind the blog: Patent and the Pantry, numerous Calgary Herald articles, as well as the recently published cookbook: Pucker.  This lemon loaf is the bees knees because of the layers of lemon-y goodness.  Lemon in the cake, lemon in the syrup which also lends yummy moisture, and topped with yet more lemon in the glaze. Pucker-up!

Glazed Lemon Cake
Cake
1/1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 lemons, zested
2 eggs
1/3 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Syrup
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons lemon juice

Glaze
1 cup icing sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
pinch salt

Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a loaf, or bundt, or your fave pan (I used a cute gem shaped one from Ikea!) by buttering it and lining with parchment if you desire.  
Using a medium sized bowl, add together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, stir slightly with a fork, and then set aside.
Using a small bowl, mix together the yogurt (or sour cream), and the lemon juice, set aside.
Using a stand or hand held mixer, cream the butter and the sugar, until pale and fluffy.  Add the lemon zest and mix until well distributed. Add the eggs and mix again.  
Add the flour mixture, and the yogurt mixture, in alternating additions, staring with the flour.  Mix until it just comes together, do not over mix.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan of your choosing, and bake until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
While the cake bakes, prepare your lemon-y syrup!  Using a small saucepan, over medium -high heat, combine the sugar and the lemon juice, and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved.  Remove from the heat, and set aside.
Remove the baked cake/loaf/gem from the oven, and allow it to cool in it's pan for about 10-15 minutes.  Using a toothpick, poke the cake all over, and then spoon or pour the syrup over the top.  Allow the cake to cool completely, and then remove from pan.  
Mix together the glaze ingredients of icing sugar and lemon juice, and drizzle or pour over top of the cooled cake.  Allow it to set before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment