Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Cereal Milk Popcicles


Corn Pop-cicles?  Yes!  I figure I'm in the midst of a mid-winter crisis, kind of like a mid-life crisis? For some reason, despite the freezing temperatures of the last few weeks, I had a hankering for some ice cream.  Completely irrational, illogical, insane! 


Once you taste these frozen treats, you will question my sanity no longer!  I figured it was time to give the cereal milk trend a go.  Ya, I know, I'm waaaaay behind the times.  But, whateva - Better late than never, and now I can see what all the fuss is about.  I can foresee many cereal milk recipe creations in my future, especially if the boys in my house have anything to do with it.  


What I like about the cereal milk concept, is that you can "make it your own".  A nostalgic throwback to Saturday morning cartoons in your jammies, after consuming all the crunchy sugary goodness, slurping down the remaining milk straight from the bowl.  The flavour opportunities are endless: fruit loops, cinnamon toast crunch, captain crunch, just reminisce of your favourite cereal from your childhood. If its your thing, add some extra dry cereal to the end of the popcicle, for a little chewy treat waiting for you for an all-star finish! 

Cereal Milk Corn PopCicles


3 cups Corn Pops cereal (plus additional dry cereal to add to molds, if desired)
2 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup half and half cream
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract



Using a large bowl, stir together the milk, cream, and Corn Pops.  Let soak for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Strain out cereal and discard.
In a medium pot, over medium-high heat, whisk together the cereal milk, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla.  Bring mixture to a boil, while continuing to stir, to avoid scalding the milk.  Remove from heat, and cool in the in the fridge until completely cold.  
Pour the cooled cereal milk mixture into your Popsicle molds, and add additional dry cereal if using, before inserting the Popsicle sticks.  Place in the freezer for at least 6-8 hours.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment