Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Cinnamon Waffles with Cinnamon Cream Sauce



Well, Hello there! It has been a while hasn't it!  How was your Christmas?  Your New Years? Excellent!  Mine?  ...It was crazy, and without knowing I needed a break, the exhaustion of the all the heaviness of family drama and transition that we've been shouldering since June, finally compounded enough to allow myself to just take one.  I just kind of shut off mentally for the last month or so, and, it to be honest, it was awesome, and so badly needed!


One of the most awesome things that took place over my wee break, was going on a cruise, with my sweetie!  We left the kids behind with my mom (their Grammie), and that way were able to focus on our own relaxation and healing, and not have to worry about them at all.  We did miss the kids horribly though, and experienced so many fun excursions (I kissed a Dolphin! Drove an ATV through the Jungle & swam in a cenote, and Jet skied on the Ocean!).  Plus all the sights and sounds (and flavours!), that we wished we could have shared with them...we felt slightly guilty.  I think we will be planning another trip sooner than later, we just got to scrimp and save a little more, I miss that sunset.


Another reason I've been away so long, is that I have a NEW CAMERA!  Cory, gave it to me for my birthday, back at the beginning of December.  It's so so pretty, not to mention so generous of him, and now I have a big learning curve to get around.


I've been so excited to try and use this waffle maker, Just look at it!  So gorgeous!  I unearthed this summer from my Mother-in-Law's basement while we were moving her out of her place.  I've been slightly daunted by how old school, and heavy it is!  It's made completely of iron, and has waffle instructions in German engraved/embedded into it, and the waffles come out shaped like little hearts - perfect for Valentine's Day!  I think I'll only be breaking it out for specials occasions, as this iron was not the easiest to use, and created a lot of smoke as it's not really meant for use on a modern stove top, but in the end still created delicious results.


Valentine's day falls on a Saturday this year, so you've got the time to put some extra effort into a breakfast your all your lovelies, without the hassle of making reservations, worrying about finding parking, or the long lineups.  Stay in your jammies, or make it a formal affair, and celebrate all you love with these amazing Cinnamon Waffles, don't forget the Cinnamon Cream Sauce - tha bomb!

Cinnamon Waffles
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
5 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled

Cinnamon Cream Sauce
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup half & half or table cream (I didn't have cream on hand so improvised w/ 1/2 cup Cinnabon International delight, & 1/2 cup milk).

Start by making the Cinnamon Cream Sauce.  Using a small pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and sugar, then add the cinnamon.  Simmer until the sauce thickens, then slowly add the cream about 1/4 cup at a time while continuing to whisk.  Turn the temp to low, so the sauce stays warm until ready to serve.
To make the waffle batter, begin with separating the eggs whites from the yolks, whisking the egg whites to stiff peaks.
Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, with the milk, and melted butter, followed by the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, sugar, and salt, until you have a smooth batter.  Gently fold in the egg whites into the batter, about a third at a time.
Pre-heat your waffle iron, and with non-stick spray, or your preferred method.
Ladle, scoop, or pour your batter onto the pre-heated waffle iron, and cook the waffles for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.  Keep the waffles warm in the oven at a low temp, while the remaining batter is used up.
Serve the waffles with the warm Cinnamon Cream Sauce poured over top, along with all your favourite breakfast fixin's, or just as they are!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment