Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Black Forest Smoothie


This is my go-to smoothie of the moment, it's a fast, easy, and deeelicious solution to the morning rush, especially on gym days!   I love that it fuels my body for a sustained amount of time, and helps me to get the most out of my workout, yet tastes like a dessert!!

I recently read an article about Banana's via Facebook,  that I cannot remember the source of, humph.  Basically it gave a whole whack of reasons why banana's are a virtual powerhouse: full of potassium  & carbs, vitamin C & fiber.  Already knew all that, duh.  But did you know that they are also aid in anemia, kidney function, stomach ulcers, indigestion, emotional state, blood circulation & pressure, hangovers, muscle aches and pains, & even morning sickness!  Or, that you can use the inside of a banana peel to help reduce itching and swelling from insect bites? How about, that you can rub the peel on your teeth to whiten your smile?  Whaaaa?!  I can get behind all that.

But in this here killer Black Forest Smoothie, you also have the added health benefits of Cherries!  Cherries help battle belly fat!  Did you know that?!  Just learned that one.  Plus, cherries help regulate blood sugar, lowers bad cholesterol, can help you sleep, and will reduce post-workout muscle soreness!  

Two healthy heavy-hitters in one shake, which means I can workout longer-harder-stronger!  Bring it!

Black Forest Smoothie

1 banana, frozen
1 cup cherries, pitted, fresh or frozen
3/4 - 1 cup almond milk (or your fave plant-based or dairy milk)
1 - 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 - 2 Tablespoon protein powder (Optional)
(I used Manitoba Harvest Vanilla Hemp Protein )

Using a blender or food processor, add the almond milk, protein powder, & cocoa powder, and blend to combine.  Next peel the frozen banana (I use a knife for this step), and break or cut into smaller pieces, and add to the blender along with the frozen cherries.  Blend until completely smooth.  Pour into a glass or to-go-cup, and drank!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment