Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Holy Moly, Guacamole!


I'm always in pursuit of the next best food creation, it must be the researcher in me.  Always searching for something tastier, faster, better...that I forget all about my tried and true recipes.  This guacamole recipe, is one I can always rely on, and is much requested, and repeated dish in my house.
I learned how to make guac (guac = is short for guacamole, in Koots speak;)), from my best friends mom, Kathy.  Kath's guac was THE best guac in the Kootenays!  Once, before I moved to Calgary with all my girlfriends, they even had it shipped via airmail (!), from Nelson, with disastrous results!  I'm sure all the girls would have a giggle at the memory of this oozing care package.  But, I would imagine, in our late teens, far from home, to have that taste of Kath's guac, and all the memories that go with it, would make it worth a shot!


When I was home last summer, all the girlfriends got together at the Harris', and of course Kath had a big ol' bowl of guac on the table along with an amazing spread.  I noticed that her recipe has changed slightly, one thing I remember is the addition of cilantro?  Darn that wine!
My interpretation of the recipe has also changed slightly over the years.  I used to add sour cream and mayo, but have found I don't miss it (or the calories!) without them.   An avocado is creamy enough on it's own!  A couple-few avocados, along with a few other simple ingredients can be thrown together in minutes, never fails to impress, and for some of us, brings back the best of memories!

Guacamole

4-5 ripe avocados
1-2 lime(s), juiced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped (purple or white)
1 tomato, diced
salt and pepper to taste

Have ready a medium sized bowl.  Slice each avocado from stem to tip, rotating the knife 'round the pit.  Twist, and them turn the avocado, pulling apart as you do so, and the pit should remain on one half.  If the avocado is sufficiently ripe, you should be able to pop out the pit by grasping/gripping with your fingers. Or alternately, carefully using a sharp knife, bring swiftly down onto the pit, so it adheres, and then remove then knife, that will take the pit with it!
Using a spoon, scoop out the ripe fruit of the avocados, and place in the bowl, and then mash it all up up with fork.  Add the juice of the lime, minced garlic, as well as the salt & pepper, and mash some more, chunks are yummy, leave them.  Finally add the chopped onion and tomatoes, and stir to incorporate.  Taste, and add more salt & pepper, or lime as you wish!  Serve straight away, accompanied by tortilla chips or veggies, or smear it on toast!
If making ahead there are a few options to avoid browned (brown = oxidized) guac:
1) Place a spare pit or two in the top of the guacamole, and cover securely with plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
2) Squeeze extra lime juice over the top, and then mix well prior to serving.
3) Using a well-sealing container, cover the guacamole with a layer of water until ready to eat, and then pour off water and mix before serving.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment